To be quite frank, I haven’t turned on the stove in over a week (besides to heat up water for
my morning elixir – warm water, lemon juice, raw apple cider vinegar, and cayenne). The reasoning is two-fold:
(1) I’ve been busy training for a marathon and recovering from a running injury, as well as getting a new fall program going (so excited about this..look below for the first details!)
(2) raw foods are just too tasty to pass up for me right now, especially with all the fresh produce this time of year (don’t get me started on how sad I will be when winter comes!).
Besides their YUM-factor, adding some/more raw foods to your diet can do so much to help improve anyone’s health and daily life!
So without further ado, here is my Top-10 Raw Food Love Fest List:
- Raw foods can help you lose weight (and prevent obesity): raw foods, especially fruits and vegetables have a very high water content (often more than 90%), making you feel fuller faster. They’re also typically high in fiber (think fruits, veggies, raw nuts and seeds), which also fill you up and help balance your blood sugar! Another bonus to your waistline? Raw foods are often low in calories!
- Improved digestion: raw foods come with all their natural enzymes intact (they’re killed off once a food’s temperature reaches 118F), and these enzymes help your body digest food more efficiently and effectively. Although we have our own digestive enzymes to digest food, it is believed that we possess a limited number of them; so, as we age, our storage becomes diminished. If we aren’t digesting our food well enough, we aren’t getting nearly as many nutrients from the food we’re eating, and all the leftover undigested waste, which can lead to health problems, builds up faster.
- More energy: The majority of our body’s energy each day is spent on digestion, so the more efficient ours is, the more extra energy we’ll have to keep us moving onto bigger and better things!
- Mega doses of antioxidants and other phytonutrients: just as enzymes are killed off in cooking, many of the healthy vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants are lost when we cook – just look in the pot of your boiled or steamed veggies –> that colored water is full of nutritious goodness leached from your food.
- Decreased exposure to harmful chemical by-products of cooking: certain foods, especially meats and fried foods, produce toxic chemicals when cooked at high temperatures; these chemicals include Heterocyclic Amines (HCAs), Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons (PAHs), Acrylamide, and Advanced Glycation End Products (AGEs); they have been linked to various cancers and other diseases, including heart disease, Alzheimers, and diabetes. Raw foods do not produce these by-products, or do so at very low amounts (ie. AGEs) (1).
- Lessens the toxic load: eating more raw foods (and whole plant foods in general) leaves less room in your stomach to consume refined, processed, preservative-filled junk. It’s “crowding out” 101.
- Better immunity: a greater amount of nutrients + a decrease in toxins = a more equipped, ready-to-act immune system. You’re giving it what it needs (phytonutrients, vitamins, antioxidants) while taking away things it would need to fight off (the junk). Raw vegan diets have been shown to directly help symptoms in people with Rheumatoid Arthritis and Fibromyalgia (1).
- Lower heart disease risk: Naturally lower sodium and trans fat levels in raw foods help slash your risk of cardiovascular issues, including hypertension and atherosclerosis.
- Supports natural detoxification processes: the phytochemicals, antioxidants, chlorophyll, and non-clogging nature of so many raw foods boosts your body’s natural detox activities, leaving you feeling lighter, fresher, younger, and prettier!
- (and last but not least) Raw meals are usually quick and easy to prepare! This is especially true if you want to keep things generally simple and spend a little time once or twice a week washing and cutting fruits and vegetables to use in your meals.
^^ Want some RAW-some recipes and meal ideas? Grab my brand-new FREE 3-day Raw Love mini-detox..it’s hot off the presses! These meals are gorgeous, and will leave you feeling gorgeous as well!
Sign up here: http://eepurl.com/EBiKr
***You’ll also be the first to know about my highly anticipated signature “Revitalize Your Body” Fall Detox Program! ***
Packed with 77 Chef Created Recipes, and perfect for anyone looking to shed a few stubborn pounds, decrease inflammation, boost their energy, feel more alive and great in your skin, and banish crazy cravings! Allergy friendly and gluten free to boot!
Information coming soon! Get on the list to be the first to know the details!
And to provide some proof that eating more raw foods doesn’t mean just chomping on celery sticks and eating boring salads…
- 1/4-1/3 cup water, or homemade non-dairy milk
- 1 frozen sliced banana
- 1 cup fruit of choice (peach is my favorite right now)
set the timer, and go:
- dump everything in blender
- blend for 45s -1min (get your spoon ready!)
- pour into your favorite bowl, and enjoy!
1. Davis, Brenda. “Raw Food Diets: Separating Fact from Fiction.” Presented at Institute for Integrative Nutrition.