Whenever the topic of green smoothies comes up in conversation (okay, I tend to bring them up a lot..hey, I’m a fan!), I say that they are downright life-changing.
I started slurping “green monsters” back in May, and since then, I have made them into a daily habit, drinking at least one a day. Prior to taking the plunge into green goodness, I had seem them around on the internet, especially from my health coach colleagues and always wondered: Can that really taste good? How does it NOT taste like grass?!
Let me tell you, once you get the combination of ingredients right, they taste simply decadent. I swear.
Add their great taste to the fact that these gems are jam-packed with nutrients, vitamins, and minerals and yield tremendous health benefits, and I wouldn’t doubt that you’ll be making a green smoothie into a daily habit too!
So, what makes green smoothies so great anyway? Well, they are:
- like liquid nutrition for your cells – because the cell walls of the greens are broken down by the action of the blender, the nutrients are more easily digested and assimilated into the body
- fiber-rich, unlike juices where all the fiber/pulp is removed. Fiber helps keep your system “moving along,” keeps you fuller longer, stabilizes blood sugar spikes, and helps bind cholesterol and remove it from the body
- an immune boost! With so many antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients from the veggies, fruit, and “extras” you can add (see examples below), a green smoothie like a gigantic multivitamin for your body.
- a great “pick me up”: due to all the nutrients you’re consuming and the easily-digestible nature of green drinks (did you know that the act of digestion takes up the majority of our energy throughout the day?!), you’ll get a burst of energy that lasts.
- they make you more VIBRANT from the inside out: you skin, your hair, your digestive system, and your mood..all due to that lovely liquid gold (or should I say green?)
- a great alternative to salads, which for me, can get dull. So many leafy greens go into my smoothies that they contain more than my typical salad!
- super detoxifying and cleansing for the body: our bodies build up a lot of toxins on a daily basis, even when we’re eating well (see my post on toxicity), but the healthy punch of antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, and chlorophyll in green smoothies helps to neutralize and get rid of that built up gunk that’s just bogging down your health, your weight loss, and your mood.
- incredibly versatile, as you’ll see below, so you can mix up and switch up ingredients to your taste (I even have a great one for chocolate lovers!)
- perfect for on-the-go! Just stick it in a travel cup, a mason jar with a lid, or whatever you have on hand, and take it with you. You can even make them ahead of time (but stick it in the freezer to save the optimum nutritional quality) and just grab it as you head out the door in the morning. Super portable!
Now, let’s talk about how to make the perfect green smoothie..
BLEND IT UP, BABY!
Tools you need:
- a blender (I’m even using my great-grandmother’s ancient blender, so believe me when I say you do not need a Vitamix to make smoothies)
- measuring cups and spoons; hands work just fine for measuring greens and fruit too
- a glass
- a rubber spatula (to scrape the blender sides, if necessary)
- a straw for sipping, if that’s how you like to roll
- Step 1: Greens and Liquid
– 2-3 cups/handfuls of organic greens (switch them up periodically so you get a wide variety of nutrients)
– 1 cup “milk”: almond, coconut, hemp, rice, etc. Coconut water works here too!
– other veggies: cucumber, celery, etc.
– herbs: parsley, cilantro
- Step 2: Blend (blending the mylk and greens first will decrease chunkiness, especially if you have sub-par blender)
- Step 3: Everything Else
– fruit: 1/2-1 frozen banana, 3/4 cup frozen mango or pineapple (these fruits really help cut through the “green” taste)
– protein: 1 scoop protein powder of choice (I like Perfect Fit because it’s raw, organic, non-GMO, vegan, and sprouted brown rice protein…and it tastes amazing!); 1-2 tbsp. soaked nuts or seeds (I like chia or ground flax)
– 1/2 cup fresh or frozen berries, peaches, grapes etc.
– 1/2 avocado (for an extra creamy texture and good fats)
– 1 tbsp coconut oil or unsweetened coconut flakes (for healthy fats and staying power)
– dried fruit, such as: gogi berries or cherries
– superfood powders like: raw cacao, maca root, spirulina
– pumpkin puree
– spices, such as: cinnamon, cayenne, nutmeg, ginger
- Step 4: Blend
- Step 5: Pour, “chew,” and enjoy!
* It’s important to sip, not chug, your green drink, for best digestion. Also, try to “chew” your smoothie because digestion begins with the activation of saliva in the mouth.
*If the smoothie isn’t cold enough for your liking, just throw it in the freezer for a few minutes as you clean up the blender!
Here’s a recipe card of one of my favorite green smoothies ever. I especially love it post-workout since it has a great amount of protein (15g) for optimal muscle recovery. Save the image on your computer or print it out if you’d like!
Want to know more about eating healthy foods that actually taste good and make you feel awesome?!
Check out my Fall Clean Eating Program and join me on an 11-day journey to totally transform the way your think about fueling your body.
It’s time to invest in you!
Grab my 11-Day signature Fall Program to reboot your body and revitalize your health!
I have a early bird special running now for just $49.95 (a $20 savings!) until Wednesday October 23rd! Get it now!